Wednesday, December 31, 2014

New Year's Eve...

It is the day before 2015 and I am doing what many people do on this day, reflecting. It has been a year of change for me. I started outnthe year much heavier than I am now. I have also begun the process of changing my job, after twelve years as a middle school teacher I am transferring to an elementary position.

A change was imminent, this summer I interviewed for a high-school position and as the school year began I kept up the routine of the jovial light-hearted teacher. However, after finding myself trying to meet more and more of the demands that my profession called for, I began to lose my jovial demeanor. It was then I began to truly think about changing jobs.  In my mind I really thought I would wait until the end of the school year and make a clean break but I was approached in December about a possibility to take an aide position mid-year. I prayed over this decision and discussed it with Jule (my wife) and I made the decision to do it.

My biggest change this year however must be my drop in weight. I at one time this past
year was pushing 260 pounds, if not heavier. I weighed in today at 205 pounds. It all started with me in the summer trying to remedy the problem myself. I began to walk regularly and watch what I ate. However, it wasn't until my doctor warned me I was on the wrong path. My blood sugar was high, my blood pressure was high, my weight was obese (scales cringed when I came near) and my cholestaral levels although not that bad (215) my bad cholestaral heavily outweighed any good. This was in early August and now on the last dy of 2014 my weight is down, my blood pressure is down, my blood sugars are down, and although my doctor didn't medicate my cholestaral it is down because of diet and exercise.  My diet is a low card high protein diet. I can eat all the eggs, meat, cheese and fruits and veggies I want. Potatoes, pasta, bread, rice and cereal are out. My goal or resolution for the new year is to lose another 15-20 pounds by the time I write my last post in 2015.

As I look ahead ro 2015 I am looking forward to my trip to Disney World. This year we are leaving on Good Friday and arrive on Saturday and leave WDW the following Friday. We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside this year and it is the first time we will stay at the same place for a second time. As the days get closer (we are at 95 right now as I sit here) I begin thinking more and more about the experiences we'll have and the photos I'll take. I will be taking a"fisheye" lens with me this trip and plan on getting some interesting shots with it.

My children are another year older, I have two teenagers and a ten year old now. My oldest is sixteen and is taking drivers ed, by this time next month he'll have his permit. My daughter is in eighth grade and next year she'll be in high school. Wyatt my youngest is beginning to say new things and is always learning. For those of you who do not know Wyatt has what is called Lyssenselphia which affects the brain and he is developmentally delayed. He is ten years old but he is more like a four year old. One of my favorite things I get to do every night is snuggle with him as he gets sleepy from his medicine that he takes to control seizures, which can be caused by his disorder. Ironically when at Disney it is Wyatt who is my ride daredevil.

My wife, Jule, is still the love of my life and after 22 years of marriage I can truthfully say I am more in love with her today than when I married her. She teaches piano and now is working as a travel agent for a company that specializes in wait for it, wait for it, Disney vacations. This is also one reason I changed jobs so I could help her when needed.

I wish all a Happy New Year and if we never meet or if you see me daily let me thank you for listening to the ramblings of this fifty year old man. May the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ be with you and your family today and forever. If He is not or if you do not know whom I speak of comment below and let me introduce you to my bestest friend.

2 comments:

  1. I will miss seeing you at the middle school, but I am so happy that you are happy. I hope 2015 brings more happiness your way.

    ReplyDelete